Former Terrorist prosecutor Andy McCarthy thinks the decision was motivated by a desire to put the Bush administration on trial:
The continuing investigations of Bush-era counterterrorism policies (i.e., the policies that kept us safe from more domestic terror attacks), coupled with the Holder Justice Department’s obsession to disclose classified national-defense information from that period, enable Holder to give the hard Left the “reckoning” that he and Obama promised during the 2008 campaign. It would be too politically explosive for Obama/Holder to do the dirty work of charging Bush administration officials; but as new revelations from investigations and declassifications are churned out, Leftist lawyers use them to urge European and international tribunals to bring “torture” and “war crimes” indictments. Thus, administration cooperation gives Obama’s base the reckoning it demands but Obama gets to deny responsibility for any actual prosecutions.
Today’s announcement that KSM and other top al-Qaeda terrorists will be transferred to Manhattan federal court for civilian trials neatly fits this hidden agenda. Nothing results in more disclosures of government intelligence than civilian trials. They are a banquet of information, not just at the discovery stage but in the trial process itself, where witnesses — intelligence sources — must expose themselves and their secrets.
Even if Obama and Holder wanted to use the trial of KSM and his fellow terrorists as a Bush-bashing weapon, they chose an incredibly stupid weapon. It’s like the James Bond gag pistol that fires back at the shooter. Here’s why:
- The trial will serve as a constant reminder to voters of the horrors of 9/11. Obama already looks weak on national security; he doesn’t needs an electorate reliving 9/11 on national TV.
- The terrorists are not stupid; they will take full advantage of the chance that Obama gave them to push their Jihadist agenda on the world stage.
- Terrorist sympathizers may be inspired to act on that world stage, and kill more New York infidels. Besides organized groups, there are untraceable individuals who may succumb to Sudden Jihad Syndrome and go on an infidel killing spree in New York. Obama wants to risk that?
- The more the trial exposes American intelligence techniques and sources, the less safe Americans will be. The chances of a major attack increase dramatically. Obama wants a second 9/11 on his watch?
- Judges, jurors and prosecutors will need 24/7 protection. How many civilians want to expose themselves to the risks of Jihadist reprisals because the President made a stupid decision? My advice? Just say no. KSM should be dead already, preferably after an extended exposure to actual torture , especially if it involves untreated gangrene.
I think this decision shows that the Obama administration is just like his campaign; all show and no substance.